(toplevel) introduce host subdir configuration in Makefile

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@mvista.com
Mon Dec 2 08:52:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 02:39:49PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Dec  2, 2002, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> wrote:
>
> > You may already know this, but just to be careful I'll mention it
> > anyway... it is not necessarily safe to configure more than one
> > subdirectory at a time.  One possibly gotcha is the updating of
> > $cache_file.  It isn't done atomically and so if you happen to have two
> > subdirectories with the same (essentially) configure.in, and they
> > happen to get started on an SMP system by make -j2 at (essentially) the
> > same time, you can blow out the cache file.
>
> > This isn't entirely hypothetical.  A similar thing happened in
> > libiberty with two invocations of config.status.
>
> This was a bug in autoconf 2.13, that's fixed in autoconf 2.5x.

What was?  The way files are generated from config.status?

> As for config.cache, the update isn't atomic but, in general, you'll
> probably just lose part of the cache.  Unfortunately, this is not
> guaranteed by the latest version of autoconf, but it shouldn't be too
> hard to fix in the common case by replacing `cat confcache
> >$cache_file´ with say `cat confcache >$cache_file.$$ && mv
> $cache_file.$$ $cache_file || cat confcache >$cache_file´ in
> _AC_CACHE_DUMP.  Unless we want to preserve the semantics that
> $cache_file retains the same inode, so that, if there are hard-links
> to it, they're also updated, which might be a reasonable thing to do
> in case a global cache-file is maintained.
>
> Without atomic updates, it's not safe to run multiple configures in
> parallel, indeed.  But I believe you'll most often just lose some
> updates to the cache.  You can't really help that, anyway, unless you
> serialized configure runs or acquire a lock on it and read it back in
> just in case it was updated before writing it out and releasing the
> lock; I don't think we want to do that.

Without atomic updates you will definitely lose some updates to the
cache; since the cache is read once and written once.

I'm more worried about two configures writing to the cache at the same
time.  Start both cat processes and you could end up with the two cache
files interleaved at 1K blocks (or so, depending on FS/OS).  That makes
me really uncomfortable...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz