What is this gas macro?

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Tue Aug 27 08:42:00 GMT 2002

Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> IGNORE_NONSTANDARD_ESCAPES isn't documented and does the same as
> ONLY_STANDARD_ESCAPES, which is documented.  Both cause a warning
> when something other than the "standard" gas escape sequences are
> used.  Did IGNORE_NONSTANDARD_ESCAPES do something different at
> some stage?  (It appeared somewhere between gas-1.38 and gas-2.0)

I'm not sure that they are precisely the same.  ONLY_STANDARD_ESCAPES
also appears in read.c.  The code in app.c only applies to a string in
double quotes.  The code in read.c is used in various other places
which expect strings which are not quoted.

In read.c, the difference between the two macros is that
ONLY_STANDARD_ESCAPES will issue a warning if a non-standard escape
sequence is seen.  IGNORE_NONSTANDARD_ESCAPES will not.

> I'm inclined to remove all ocurrences of IGNORE_NONSTANDARD_ESCAPES
> so that gas silently ignores such escapes rather than emitting
> a warning.  Comments?

Seems reasonable to me.

Ian