Future plans for gprof

Andrew Cagney ac131313@ges.redhat.com
Sun Aug 25 15:44:00 GMT 2002

> "Desmond, Colin" wrote:
>
>> I am working on the KProf front-end for gprof, as well as some other
>> profilers, and I was wondering what the future plans are for gprof, in terms
>> of additional functionality.
>

> For starters:
> * support for multiple threads
> * support for large programs
>
> (see http://www.kegel.com/gprof.html )
>
> I can also imagine
> * ability to start and stop profiling during execution
>
> The problem is, gprof is partly in binutils, and partly in glibc.
> The glibc maintainer is very, very picky about what patches
> he'll accept.  In particular, he has not yet accepted the perfectly
> reasonable patch
>   http://www.kegel.com/gmon.patch
> which fixes support for large programs.  I haven't tried hard
> enough to get it accepted; perhaps some readers of this list
> could advise me on how to proceed.

I don't know that the above patch is `perfectly reasonable' :-) It
modifies a gprof data structure in a way that makes it incompatible with
every other gprof implementation (all the ones I've seen came from the
same source).  I think it would be better to define a new data
structures that could handle this.

enjoy,
Andrew