Future plans for gprof

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Fri Aug 23 08:57:00 GMT 2002

"Desmond, Colin" wrote:
> I am working on the KProf front-end for gprof, as well as some other
> profilers, and I was wondering what the future plans are for gprof, in terms
> of additional functionality.

For starters:
* support for multiple threads
* support for large programs

(see http://www.kegel.com/gprof.html )

I can also imagine
* ability to start and stop profiling during execution

The problem is, gprof is partly in binutils, and partly in glibc.
The glibc maintainer is very, very picky about what patches
he'll accept.  In particular, he has not yet accepted the perfectly
reasonable patch
  http://www.kegel.com/gmon.patch
which fixes support for large programs.  I haven't tried hard
enough to get it accepted; perhaps some readers of this list
could advise me on how to proceed.

- Dan