A new target for binutils ? MCS-51

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Aug 20 06:33:00 GMT 2002

Hi Stephane,

> I have found old messages describing how to port binutils but I want
> to be sure that the information is up to date. Should I follow this
> order : BFD -> opcode -> gas -> ld ?

Yes, although I would add creating the header files first, ie:

        include -> bfd -> opcodes -> gas -> ld

> Which object format should I choose ? COFF or ELF ? I tend to use
> ELF because the AVR port use it, but I have no other good reasons...

Use ELF.  It is the most modern and flexible of the supported file
formats.

> P.S. : I was very surprised when I first read the source code : this
> is the first time that I see a complete K&R-written C project!
> Perhaps am I too young!

Well switching to ISO-C is actually being debated at the moment, but
the reason for coding the project in K&R is so that it can be built on
systems which only have a native K&R compiler.