Patch to implement rotates by zero

Maciej W. Rozycki macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl
Tue Aug 20 06:18:00 GMT 2002

On 17 Aug 2002 cgd@broadcom.com wrote:

> AFAIK, 'sll' w/ a shift of 0 is only guaranteed to sign-extend by
> MIPS64.  I've seen no previous documentation that defined that it must
> work that way.

 Well, the behaviour is defined explicitly for "sll" and "sllv" by "MIPS
R4000 Microprocessor User's Manual" (pp. A-140, A-141), the original spec
for the original MIPS III processor, so the assumption should be any MIPS
III+ implementation must do them this way; otherwise it is non-compliant
(or simply broken).  There is a note on broken code generated by some
assemblers there, though.  The book is available from www.mips.com.