Drop the K&R requirement from binutils?

Andrew Cagney ac131313@ges.redhat.com
Sat Aug 17 19:32:00 GMT 2002

> Jim Wilson <wilson@redhat.com> writes:
>

>> Only a very small and very vocal minority of gcc developers believe that
>> continuing to require K&R C for gcc serves any useful purpose.  At the
>> moment, this minority is enough to paralyze the gcc decision making process.
>> It would help move things along if binutils switched to ISO C90, as then
>> there would be less of a reason for gcc to continue using K&R C.
>

> I've always sort of felt that since gcc is the much larger project,
> the binutils should wait to switch to ISO C90 until gcc switches.

Is it reasonable to delay BINUTILS conversion when it serves no useful
purpose other than to pacify a very small but very vocal minority of GCC
developers?

GDB, for instance, gave up waiting three years ago.  Hmm, yes, now that
is scary! It's over three years since GDB abandoned K&R C.
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/1999-q2/msg00024.html

enjoy,
Andrew