Feature request: undefined-symbol hints

Martin v. Löwis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Tue Aug 13 01:02:00 GMT 2002

Paul Koning <pkoning@equallogic.com> writes:

> Count me as one confused by those errors.  They always went away
> after "some tinkering" but I never realized what the magic word is.

Paul,

It appears that you are not aware of certain details of the C++
language: In C++, you must define all virtual functions. If you forget
to define some of them, your program is in error.

> It seems to me the solution is NOT to create hacks that produce new
> warnings.  You described the real problem in the first paragraph.  The
> compiler/linker should be able to deal with duplicate definitions of
> these implicit symbols so the compiler can just emit them and the
> linker will make it right.  That way these internal things are not
> tied to irrelevant details like the first user-defined virtual
> function.

I think this is not an option. Always emitting virtual tables will
result in significant size increase in individual object files, and
will surely lead to complaints from users. In addition, the linker
cannot eliminate duplicates if they exist in different shared
libraries.

Regards,
Martin