The new mips gas breaks gcc 2.96

Maciej W. Rozycki macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl
Thu Aug 1 09:55:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, H. J. Lu wrote:

> > -mcpu was deprecated in the last release.  It's now been removed.
>
> I guess I have to put it back for gcc 2.96 in my Linux binutils.

 Well, the real solution would be to update the specs for gcc 2.96 --
s/-mcpu/-mtune/ should suffice.

 I'm actually surprised why the change happened at all -- the i386 uses
"-mcpu" and "-march"; why does MIPS have to use "-mtune" and "-march"
instead?  And why can't it keep "-mcpu" as an alias if "-mtune" is needed
for some reason?  It doesn't cost much.