Changing GAS for ARM to accept semicolon as a comment character ?

Hans-Peter Nilsson hp@bitrange.com
Fri Apr 12 14:55:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 11:53:56AM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> >   GAS for the ARM currently supports ';' as a line separator character
> >   and '@' as a line comment character.  Would anyone object to my
> >   changing this so that ';' was also a line comment character and
> >   dropping the support for multiple instructions on a single line ?
> >   (Or else choosing a different character for a line separator).
>
> That would break the ability to do stuff like:
>
> #define BLAH(x,y)  mov r0, x; mov t1, y; bl foo
>
> which is used widely within kernel and (iirc) glibc sources.

... using a target-dependent line-separator sequence.  It's not
";" for CRIS (it's "@" there) and IIRC hppa.

(Right, we're talking about ARM asm here, but it's easily
misinterpreted as a generalization.)

brgds, H-P