binutils & Windows device drivers

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart@capflow.com
Tue Apr 9 05:13:00 GMT 2002

>>>Sadly, it appears that this format is not supported.
>>>
>>Actually the .sys format seems to be a 'standard' PE-i386. The
>>problem I experienced with the latest CVS binutils was that
>>IMAGE_SCN_MEM_NOT_PAGED was not supported. I removed the check in
>>bfd, and I got objdump to work properly (which was all I needed). Is
>>there an easy way to add support for IMAGE_SCN_MEM_NOT_PAGED without
>>too much changes in BFD ?
>>
>Probably not.  BFD does not currently support the concept of a
>non-paged section.  (It supports non-paged binary object files, where
>all of the sections are not paged, but not on a per-section basis).
>
>Such support could be added of course, but it would involve someone
>doing the work.

I unfortunately don't have enough skills to do the work. Would any other
file format benefit of non-paged sections support ?

>If the only problem you had was bfd barfing on the
>IMAGE_SCN_MEM_NOT_PAGED flag however, then it might well be possible
>to add a switch to change the error message to a warning and allow the
>dump to continue.

I just removed the check before compiling libbfd and objdump works fine.

Do you know any other difference between 'standard' PE-i386 files and
the '.sys' format ?

Laurent Pinchart