[Linux-ia64] epilogue count exceeds number of nested prologues
Jeff Licquia
jlicquia@progeny.com
Mon Apr 8 22:57:00 GMT 2002
On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 00:09, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > I'm unable to reproduce this. If I'm understanding you right, the
> > problem occurred during the configure phase of mozilla (not libffi).
>
> that's right
>
> > I just rebuilt Mozilla from the current CVS tree with gcc3.1
> > pre-release and the current CVS binutils. It built just fine and the
> > resulting binary seems to work flawlessly.
>
> I'm building from Debian sources. It's possible that it's simply out of
> date (I'm building version 0.9.9).
>
> > >From the assembly code you provided, it looks as if conftest.c tried
> > to call FFI_STATIC_CLOSURE() from within a function, which can't
> > possibly work.
>
> indeed, mozilla's configure.in says:
>
> if test "$LIBFFI_FOUND" = "yes"; then
> AC_MSG_CHECKING("for FFI_STATIC_CLOSURE in libffi")
> AC_TRY_COMPILE([#include "ffi.h"],
> [ FFI_STATIC_CLOSURE(foo, bar, baz, quux); ],
> [ LIBFFI_HAS_STATIC_CLOSURE=yes ])
> AC_MSG_RESULT("$result")
> fi
>
> which generates (from config.log):
>
> configure:13494: checking for FFI_STATIC_CLOSURE in libffi
> configure:13503: gcc-3.0 -c -I/home/randolph/debian/mozilla-0.9.9/build-tree/libffi-install/include -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe -I/usr/X11R6/include conftest.c 1>&5
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:40: Error: Epilogue count of 4294967296 exceeds number of nested prologues (0)
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 13496 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #include "ffi.h"
> int main() {
> FFI_STATIC_CLOSURE(foo, bar, baz, quux);
> ; return 0; }
I claim responsibility for this code. For some reason, it worked in
older revisions.
But yes, I can see how that's incorrect, and should be changed. I can
whip up a patch if no one else is tomorrow.
More information about the Binutils
mailing list