gprof/sprof and shared libraries...again

Braman, Paul Paul_Braman@tvratings.com
Thu Apr 4 11:52:00 GMT 2002

On Thursday, April 04, 2002 2:37 PM Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> No.  It intercepts all calls to an exported DSO interface.  Use
>
>   LD_PROFILE=libc.so.6 /bin/ls
>
> and you'll see the function calls ls makes in the sprof output.  It
> might also notice the calls made from inside the DSO but this is an
> implementation detail.  As long as a PLT entry is used you'll see the
> result in the profile.

Okay, this actually produces output the way I expect it.  Obviously (but not
to me) there is something different with the way libc.so.6 gets built (which
will allow profiling) and the way my library gets built.  Apparently,
anyway...

Paul Braman
Paul_Braman@tvratings.com