cannot undefine with -u option to ld

first last tjf3@prontomail.com
Fri Sep 14 09:17:00 GMT 2001

I am trying to use the -u option of ld to force a
symbol to be undefined in order to have the
linker pull a module out of a library which it
otherwise would not.

The feature does no work consistantly.  If i use
"-u __gccmain", libraries are searched and a
module is extracted which defines the symbol.
For every other symbol I tried, no library module
is extracted, nor does it appear a library search
is being performed (--verbose).

The most mysterious part is that the symbol is
inserted into the symbol table from the linker
and it is labelled UND in the Ndx column of the
table.  I assume that means the symbol is
undefined.  But the linker completes with no
error and no resolution of the symbol.