Linking images at one address, but loading them at another.
Richard Earnshaw
rearnsha@arm.com
Fri Oct 26 08:11:00 GMT 2001
> ELF specs generally assume a SYSV environment. That's typically
> fulfilled when running userland under an OS, but a kernel image is not
> usually loaded within a SYSV environment. It might even not be
> dynamically linked. ;-) Thus the binary is not SYSV-compliant anyway.
Well I know that :-)
>
> In short: use p_vaddr in a loader if it operates on virtual addresses as
> seen by the program and p_paddr if it operates on physical addresses. If
> a loader operates on virtual addresses different from the ones seen by the
> program, you should probably use p_paddr anyway.
That doesn't help me much. The loader (which is built into the ARM AXD
debugger) uses only p_vaddr, so I need to make my image use that.
The issue is, why is ld preventing me from doing what I need to do?
Putting seeks to negative output-file offsets sounds like a linker bug to
me.
R.
More information about the Binutils
mailing list