-z combreloc

Andrew Cagney ac131313@cygnus.com
Sat Oct 13 20:12:00 GMT 2001


> Andrew,
>     I'm rather amused that you are giving debian such grief
> for daring to use the actual version number coupled with
> a packaging version number, yet I haven't hear a peep out
> of you about RedHat doing the same. I would remind you
> that RedHat srpms for binutils, while they are based on
> the hjl tarballs, contain patches from maintainers who
> are not hjl. Also RedHat isn't the only rpm based system.
> So one could just as easily make the argument that RedHat
> should never release anything without using 2.11.92.rh.5
> or such...
> 
> from  "/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/os/i386/SRPMS"
> -rw-r--r--    4 0        0         7064578 Apr 08  2001 binutils-2.10.91.0.2-3.src.rpm

To be clear, I'm not trying to give you grief.  I'm raising a flag 
saying ``hey this could be a problem''.  Given the above, it looks like 
there really is an issue.

You'll notice that I did manage to get Red Hat to change their GDB 
version number.  Hopefully Debian did the same with their GDB distribution.

enjoy,
Andrew




More information about the Binutils mailing list