binutils patches for Cirrus/arm9e/maverick support
Richard Earnshaw
rearnsha@arm.com
Wed Oct 10 04:22:00 GMT 2001
> In message < 3BC33655.47390D36@redhat.com >, Jonathan Larmour writes:
> >Actually the Maverick is a family of CPUs from Cirrus, of which only one is
> >at present an ARM9: http://beamaverick.com/sub.cfm?CategoryID=2
>
> Mmm. Well, they seem to include CLPS7500FE in the "Maverick" family,
> and that pretty clearly doesn't support the DSP extensions that are at
> issue here. But if Cirrus haven't given the actual instruction set a
> name, using "maverick" to describe it is probably the best you can do.
>
> So: maverick-elf? Well, it might be nicer if all ARM-derived targets
> had names generally in the pattern arm*-*, and that would avoid any
> future embarrassment if Cirrus decide to expand the Maverick marketing
> name to, say, MIPS-based processors. But "armmaverick" is, if
> anything, even more ugly a name than "beamaverick".
>
> It doesn't really matter all that much anyway. Even something like
> "arm9m-elf" would probably be okay.
No, I think that sounds too much like the arm7[d]m, which indicated the
presence of the multiplier feature.
I'd go for maverick (in the same way as xscale or strongarm); but I'd
prefer to see something in the config files that noted that this was
simply an arm with some defaulted set of extensions TE_? (rather than
having to have a lot of additional config files lying around).
R.
Hm, now I'm going to have to port all that new code to my new parsing
routines...
More information about the Binutils
mailing list