Installing without binutils
Ian Lance Taylor
ian@airs.com
Thu Nov 15 07:19:00 GMT 2001
pocm@rnl.ist.utl.pt (Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy) writes:
> I've RedHat 7.1 and I wanted to upgrade binutils without using
> rpms so I decided to get the source, and I configured and
> compiled. Everything ok...
> The I didn't really know if binutils would overwrite my oldest
> binutils so I removed the binutils rpm that I had installed since
> my redhat 7.1 installation. After removing them I did make
> install and I got an error. It was not able to find ranlib (a
> binutil).
>
> So, now my question is: Binutils are vital for everything to work
> smoothly. I'm not glad about not having binutils installed. How
> can I install binutils without really having binutils installed.
> I really only need a way to installed since it's already
> configured and compiled.
> Maybe I could get a rpm but that's my ultimate choice since I'm
> trying to avoid rpms.
You can ignore errors from ranlib being missing during `make install'.
Or you can just stick ranlib somewhere on your PATH, run `make
install', and then remove ranlib from whereever you put it assuming it
is not where it was installed anyhow.
Ian
More information about the Binutils
mailing list