PATCH: Enable PIC for mips*-*-*
Maciej W. Rozycki
macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl
Fri Nov 9 08:57:00 GMT 2001
On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, H . J . Lu wrote:
> > Position dependent code (as opposed to PIC).
>
> I don't believe it is supported by glibc. It may or may not work. I
Supported or not /usr/lib/libc.a is not PIC unless a platform mandates
otherwise. For i386 it definitely is PDC.
> don't think we made any promise it will always work. FWIW, what is
> difference between linking against an archive which is not compiled
> with PIC vs. a .o file which is not compiled with PIC? It has nothing
> to do with archive.
No difference. But since it's not supported, I'd rather not put attempts
to support it in libtool. I think a better aproach would be to either
build liberty as a shared library, or build it as an archive of PIC
objects and handle it explicitly in Makefiles for libraries depending on
it (e.g. via LDADD).
Maciej
--
+ Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+ e-mail: macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl, PGP key available +
More information about the Binutils
mailing list