PowerPC w/ shared libgcc: "R_PPC_REL24 relocation... out of range"

Bryce McKinlay bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz
Mon Nov 5 14:23:00 GMT 2001

I'm getting the following error when I try to run something linked
against shared libgcc with current GCC:

$ ./a.out
./a.out: error while loading shared libraries:
/home/bryce/gcc/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: R_PPC_REL24 relocation at 0x0ffd5ca4
for symbol `_Jv_RegisterClasses' out of range

_Jv_RegisterClasses is a weak symbol defined in libgcj, if I link with
libgcj then things work ok.

I've tried applying Franz Sirl's patch to fix shared libgcc:

... but it doesn't seem to help. My binutils is 2.11.92.0.10

regards

Bryce.