Strange additional data in text section of arm-coff object files

David Lin graylag@iii.org.tw
Mon May 28 18:37:00 GMT 2001

Hi, everybody

There is something strange about the COFF file
generated by arm-coff tools
I built an environment for building COFF files on
target machine with ARM processor
As the manual of ld descriped, executable object
codes could be generated
and relocatable object files could also be created
with additional flag '-r'

for example:

arm-coff-gcc -c init.c
arm-coff-gcc -c hello.c
arm-coff-ld -e _hello -o hello_cof.o hello.o
init.o
arm-coff-ld -r -e _hello -o hello_rel.o hello.o
init.o

By observing the executable COFF file
hello_cof.o and relocatable file hello_rel.o,
there is surely something different

Concerning the text section only,
I found size of text in  hello_cof.o is
16-byte more than size in hello_rel.o
content of these 16 bytes of data is "FFFFFFFF
00000000 FFFFFFFF 00000000"

On the experience of prevous work, it is similiar to
the m68k case, the cross-platform tools for Motorola 68k processors
size of text section in executable object files is
also 16 byte more than in relocatable ones
content of these 16 bytes of data, however, is
"00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000"

does this circumstance imply something?
I am interested in it :)

Here is my experimental environment