PowerPC gas/ immediate range checking?
Becky Gill
bgill@ibmoto.com
Fri May 25 13:35:00 GMT 2001
Becky Gill wrote:
>
> I have a question about gas on PowerPC. The assembly instruction
>
> addi r3,r3,0xdead
Whoops, copied the wrong line. I mean 0xbeef .... cut-and-pasted the wrong
instruction to match the error message.
>
> Generates this warning:
>
> Error: operand out of range (000000000000beef not between -32768 and 32767)
>
> However, this immediate value is perfectly valid for the addi instruction. It
> looks as though gas is treating it as unsigned by default, filling in with
> zeroes, and then range checking that number. This results in an incorrect
> error, since the above instruction is valid.
>
> So, 2 questions:
>
> 1) Why is gas implemented as it is currently? Is this intentional?
> 2) Is there a way to get around this problem when hand-coding assembly?
>
FYI - it looks like I have gas 2.10.90.
Thanks,
Becky
More information about the Binutils
mailing list