"Fix" strip test failure

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Tue May 1 18:41:00 GMT 2001


On Apr 30, 2001, "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> wrote:

> My Linux binutils has no problems. I have fixed it long time ago:

> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2000-10/msg00047.html

> But my patch was not accepted :-(.

Actually, it's still in my libtool-patches mail folder, along with
hundreds of other patches I'm yet to analyze and eventually comment on
or install.

I have mixed feelings about this patch.  On one hand, I perfectly
understand the reasoning to avoid getting these warning messages.  On
the other hand, I find it would be a problem if libtool were to relink
the program and fail without producing a reasonable error message.

I'd rather have something that would save the error messages in a
temporary file (or perhaps in a shell variable), and display them in
case linking fails, or throw them away in case it succeeds.

-- 
Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Red Hat GCC Developer                  aoliva@{cygnus.com, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist    *Please* write to mailing lists, not to me



More information about the Binutils mailing list