Patch(?): binutils-2.11.90.0.6/ld/ldlang.c fix to resolve undefined DT_NEEDED symbols

Adam J. Richter adam@yggdrasil.com
Tue May 1 00:50:00 GMT 2001

	Oops!  I spoke too soon.  When I tried your gcc patch, I rebuilt
ld (without my change), gcc (with your change), gpm and bash (failed to
link as before), but I did not rebuild ncurses (since the undefined
symbol was in libgpm).  However, now I have rebuilt ncurses with the
modified gcc and that seems to have made the problem go away.  I
don't know why, but I notice that the undefined reference to
atexit in ncurses no longer has version information in it.

	Before, objdump --dynamic-sym /usr/lib/libcurses.so had this line:

00000000      DF *UND*  00000048  GLIBC_2.1.3 __cxa_atexit

	After your change, it had this line:

00000000      D  *UND*  00000000              atexit

	I don't fully understand why this made it work, but I am backing
our my ld change, commiting the gcc change that you provided, and
kicking off a rebuild of our whole source tree.  I'll let you know
early tomorrow what the results of that are.

	Thanks for your help.  i am sorry for not thinking to recompile
ncurses earlier.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."