[RFC] Cross core support

Andrew Cagney ac131313@cygnus.com
Fri Jun 29 08:31:00 GMT 2001


> Hi Daniel,
> 
> 
>> I take it back.  How could we do this?  If you consider two
>> different OS note formats for the same ELF target, I don't want to
>> hardcode in the target format file (elfXX-arch.c) which one I'm
>> building for if I can help it.
> 
> 
> OK - it was just a suggestion.  Since as you say, if they do change
> the format we will stop being able to read the core files it should
> not be too much of a problem.  And how often to core formats get
> changed anyway ? :-)


Just FYI, GDB's taken the idealistic view that the core file structure 
is one of those things that people know better than to change (I wish 
:-).  If for some reason an OS decided to change their core file format 
then GDB^D^D^D (erm) BFD should be updated to recognize and read both 
formats.

enjoy,
	Andrew



More information about the Binutils mailing list