Get rid of some ugly code

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 24 21:34:00 GMT 2001


On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 05:38:48PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> 
> > I'm not really happy about the kludge though.  See the FIXME below.
> > As far as I can make out from ChangeLogs, Ian made a change to emit
> > relocs in debugging sections on 1996-12-05, which was negated by
> > Ulrich Drepper on 1998-12-01.  A pity public binutils CVS doesn't go
> > back that far so I could see exactly what the patches do.  Grumble.
> > Anyway, that must have caused a problem, which Richard Henderson had
> > a go at fixing on 1998-12-10, further refined by H.J. Lu on 2000-04-20.
> 
> I've never grasped this issue.
> 
> See
>     http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/1999-q3/msg00636.html

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/1999-q3/msg00635.html is interesting
too.  Maybe I should just remove the SEC_ALLOC test and see what breaks,
or commit it and wait for the screams. :-)

> By the way, I see that you checked in the 2000-04-20 patch, although
> you credit it to H.J.

I suppose I should take some of the blame then :)  It was H.J.'s patch.
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2000-04/msg00107.html



More information about the Binutils mailing list