ld 2.11: unaligned memory access for unions

Nick Clifton nickc@cambridge.redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 10:46:00 GMT 2001

Hi Ian,

> > But presumably it is not.
>
> Do you know that or are you just assuming it?

I am assuming it, but Eberhard's original email did imply that there
was a seg fault because of an unaligned access:

  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-gnu-utils/2001-06/msg00160.html

> Well, personally, I think this needs further investigation.  I don't
> think the hack of adding a function to call memcpy is appropriate
> until we understand why it is needed.  Perhaps there is a bug in gcc.
> Perhaps BFD is failing to align structures when it should.  Perhaps
> the real problem has been completely misdiagnosed.  Perhaps I am wrong
> and BFD is really doing something wrong; perhaps we can fix that
> instead.

OK - Eberhard, can you provide us with more information about this
failure and how to reproduce it ?