Binutuls is broken now.

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Mon Jun 18 15:44:00 GMT 2001


Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter.nilsson@axis.com> writes:

> > > Running objcopy on tmppiggy.gz to make a elf32-i386 piggy.o
> > > before linking it -r seems TRT.
> > 
> > It is not acceptable. It changed the linker behavior.
> 
> So?  It didn't change the *documented* behavior for bfd.

I'm not sure this behaviour is documented very clearly.  It certainly
was not documented at the time the Linux kernel started using the
build procedure it uses today.

I agree with H.J. that it should be possible to incorporate a binary
input file in a relocateable link.  We should only prohibit actions
which we can not support.  That is one we can easily support.

I haven't tried to figure out whether H.J.'s patch is the best way to
do this.

In fact, we can easily support linking any object file with no
relocations into a relocateable link.  There may be times when that
would be convenient for people.

Ian



More information about the Binutils mailing list