ld --auto-imports

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Mon Jun 11 00:52:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralf Habacker" <Ralf.Habacker@saght.tessag.com>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 5:24 PM
Subject: AW: ld --auto-imports

> I have tried to mark this with ^^^^, but there are tabs in my mail, so
they
> don't fit the correct columns.
>
> > However it works with -lcygwin first in the link line. Do you know
why
> > that fixes it? Maybe more symbols need to be stripped... I'll roll
my
> > own and have a look and see why -lcygwin is needed (it's not needed
with
> > an unaltered ld).
> The reason is, that hello.dll uses _cygwin_dll_entry@12 from greet.dll
and
> not from cygwin1.dll. This doesn't work, but I don't know why.

Yes - I tracked that down just now myself :]. Use
-Wl,--exclude-symbols=_cygwin_dll_entry@12
 on the .dll link line, and you will no longer need -lcygwin in the link
command.

Thats fixed the segfaulting for me, and I'm back to libtool. I suspect
that there are a number of symbols that will need to be excluded from
automatic exporting, and I'll generate a patch to ld that will include
Pauls' patch, and exclude those extra symbols.

Thanks for the help,

Rob