Problem when formatting man pages (gcc.1) on 3_0

Joseph S. Myers jsm28@cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 10 13:11:00 GMT 2001

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Stephane Carrez wrote:

> I've found a problem with the man pages generated by texi2pod+pod2man.
> When the man page is formatted with groff to produce an HTML page,
> the bold items are wrong: each bold letter is repeated twice.  This makes
> the HTML man page unreadable.  {I'm using: groff -Thtml -P-g -man gcc.1}.

The intended use of the manpages generated through texi2pod is for viewing
with "man" only, since users have clearly shown that they do want a proper
manpage for viewing this way.  For printing or HTML you should go directly
from the Texinfo sources (with texi2dvi, and makeinfo --html (preferably
with texinfo 4.0b, to support non-monolithic output) or texi2html).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk