Possible ARM binutils/gcc errors...

Steven J. Hill sjhill@cotw.com
Fri Jul 27 11:13:00 GMT 2001

Greetings.

I am building a new ARM toolchain based on binutils-2.11.90.0.24 and
released gcc-3.0. I used header files from linux-2.4.6-rmk2. I build
the toolchain just fine, but when I go to compile a kernel and it
reaches the directory 'arch/arm/kernel' i.e. the first directory to
have an object build from both .S and .c files, I get the following
errors:

arm-linux-ld  -r -o kernel.o arch.o dma.o entry-armv.o irq.o process.o ptrace.o
semaphore.o setup.o signal.o sys_arm.o time.o traps.o fiq.o irq-arch.o
debug-armv.o armksyms.o io.o
arm-linux-ld: Error: entry-armv.o uses hard floating point, whereas kernel.o
uses soft floating point
File format not recognized: failed to merge target specific data of file
entry-armv.o
arm-linux-ld: Error: debug-armv.o uses hard floating point, whereas kernel.o
uses soft floating point
File format not recognized: failed to merge target specific data of file
debug-armv.o
make[1]: *** [kernel.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/pteclinux/arch/arm/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_arch/arm/kernel] Error 2

I even reconfigured both binutils and gcc with '--nfp' to see if it
made a difference and I still get the same messages. Anyone have some
insight on this? Thanks.

-Steve

--
 Steven J. Hill - Embedded SW Engineer