ld --auto-import for cygwin and libtool

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Tue Jul 24 04:40:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralf Habacker" <Ralf.Habacker@saght.tessag.com>

> > After installing the patched ld, I built:
> >    autoconf-2.52 (current cygwin distro uses 2.13)
> >    automake-1.4i (from latest CVS -- contains improvements necessary
for:
> >    libtool-hacked (Robert Collin's port, but autoreconf'ed and built
> > from his source.  This version uses the auto-imports capability to
> > enable almost seamless dll-building on cygwin.  Probably mingw, too)
>
> Do you have tested the dlopen/dlsym stuff of this libtool ? I' ve got the
> following errors compiling libltdl and mdemo:

Yes. libtool passes the entire testsuite bar 3 tests (build-relink,
build-relikn2 and quote.test) which is a lot better that without auto-import
binutils, or with auto-import binutils and a non-modified libtool.

> ----- without auto-import binutils --------------------

This libtool ONLY supports the auto-import binutils. The dllwrap support was
removed (for cygwin only) as part of my testing.

It's concept only - it is possible to have both, and a configure-time switch
to choose/autodetect, but I wanted to test the limits of auto-import, not
waste time on a [possible] dead end.

> with auto-import binutils -----------------

<SNIP>

> I have debugged, but currently I can't find the reason. I have to study
more the
> internals.
> Perhaps you have an idea ?

Yes. The patched libtool is only for auto-import ld.

Rob