ssnop for mips

Maciej W. Rozycki macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl
Fri Jul 20 11:12:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> I would like to see -m disassemble-the-damn-thing as the default.  Much of
> the code I produce is supposed to work beyond the barriers of a certain ISA
> and at times there is no single -m options that makes objdump disassemble
> everything.  Similarly objdump's behaviour of only disassembling stuff

 Supposedly this can be fixed by adding something like "mips:generic" that
covers everything.  Selecting the default behaviour at the compile time
can be difficult, though.  We don't have model specifiers for the CPU like
other architectures do -- you can say "alphaev56-linux" or "i586-linux" to
"configure" to select a specific member of the architectures.  There is no
equivalent for MIPS.

 Hardcoding "mips:generic" as the default might be acceptable, though.

> that has explicitly been marked as code using .type; I did very much
> prefer the old behaviour of disassembling everything in sections that are
> marked to contain code.

 Well, the "-S" option is a workaround.  Otherwise bad sources should be
fixed -- everything gcc produces seems to be marked correctly, only
hand-coded assembler sources and inline asm appears marked wrong.  This is
boring, I know...

  Maciej