arm assembly syntax incompatible

Alu Minium tjf2@prontomail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:34:00 GMT 2001

I am trying to cross-assemble (host=solaris,
target=arm-elf) some assembly lang files which
came from ARM.  When I do, I get lots of errors.
arm-elf-as does not like the syntax of the
files.  For example the file contains ";" as a
comment marker, but arm-elf-as attempts to
process the line as an instruction.  The file has
"include" statements that look like this:

    INCLUDE arm.equ

arm-elf-as says "INCLUDE" is a "bad instruction".

Since the files came from ARM they must (?) be
using ARM-native syntax.

What's up?  How do I get the GNU assembler to
correctly read this syntax?