Cannot build latest snapshot in maintainer-mode

Hans-Peter Nilsson hans-peter.nilsson@axis.com
Mon Jul 2 19:26:00 GMT 2001


> Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:55:30 -0400 (EDT)
> From: John Wolfe <jlw@sco.com>

> Thanks for confirming my understanding.
> 
> However, the main question was why can I not build the binutils-latest-snapshot
> with --enable-maintainer-mode?  I have downloaded and built the 4 special
> versions of other tools cited in README-maintainer-mode.

Oh!  Someone sees the same thing I do!  Perhaps there's hope...

Sorry, I don't know the answer.  I only have a workaround: After
updating sources (IIRC limited to when some configure.in or
dependency-sibling changes), do
"find src -name aclocal.m4 -exec touch {} \;".  That stops it
from being incorrectly regenerated by the generated(?) version
of whatever-dependent-stuff was used for the changes that broke
use of the the recommended tools.

Yeah, it sucks.  I know I and others have reported this some
time, but I've never felt brave enough to investigate enough to
persist; I had a hunch it could be some failure at this end.
Perhaps it is anyway.  Maybe someone has a clue.  (Alex?)

brgds, H-P



More information about the Binutils mailing list