Moving _etext to after all read-only sections

Jason R Thorpe thorpej@zembu.com
Fri Jan 19 18:09:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 05:34:22PM -0800, Nick Clifton wrote:

 > Ah, but -  this comment is talking about test segments not text
 > sections.  What it means is that the script has gathered together all
 > of the read-only sections into one place so that they can all be
 > placed into a single read-only segment.
 >
 > I think that adding a new symbol _ereadonly would actually be a better
 > approach.

Okay -- I've worked around it in 2.9 for now with a separate linker
script (suggested by hjl and mrg) ... but maybe in the long-term,
an _ereadonly could make it in.

 > I am unsure however why an OS would need this symbol.  If it just
 > wants to locate the read-only parts of an application why not examine
 > the program header, find all the read-only and allocatable segments
 > (there will probably only be one) and then map them ?

I'm not talking about the OS locating the read-only parts of an application,
but rather the OS kernel locating the read-only parts of itself at bootstrap
time.

Thanks for your additional explanation of the script variables.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>