linker functionality

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Mon Feb 26 08:28:00 GMT 2001


Timothy Wall <twall@cygnus.com> writes:

> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> 
> > Timothy Wall <twall@cygnus.com> writes:
> >
> > > I'm planning to add a target-specific patch to the linker to (minimally)
> > > emit a warning when relocations are found in read-only (lit shared)
> > > sections (since they're not supported by the target).  Is there any
> > > comparable functionality already existing that I should be aware of?
> >
> > You should be aware of the `-assert pure-text' option used on SunOS
> > and the `-z text' option used on Solaris.  This would appear to have a
> > similar meaning to what you describe, but are currently ignore by the
> > GNU linker.  If they are indeed what you describe, then I suggest
> > implementing them, rather than adding a new option.
> >
> > Ian
> 
> Well, considering that relocs in text cause an abort at runtime, this would
> always be active for this particular target, and wouldn't be implemented as
> an option.  Thanks for the input, though.

In that case, if you do the work for this target, I recommend that you
take a few minutes to implement these options.  Or put a comment by
them indicating what would have to be done.  Thanks.

Ian



More information about the Binutils mailing list