Regarding Map Files

Sachin O. Agrawal sachin_agrawal@persistent.co.in
Thu Dec 20 06:54:00 GMT 2001

Hello,

Actually my intention is to find the functions and approximate
range of line numbers in sources given an address.

Usually all commercial products use logging to trace their code
flow in case of error at customer site. My opinion is that in
error conditions program itself can log stack back trace just
like a debugger (but within an optimized code).

Support engineer or customer will mail these numbers instead of
big and huge core dump to the developers. Developers will then
trace out using map files the backtrace. I agree this trace
won't be as accurate as backtrace reported by debugger but
at least it is better than huge logging.

--
Thanks
Sachin
--

-----Original Message-----
From: ananda.motte@philips.com [mailto:ananda.motte@philips.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 6:34 PM
To: sachin_agrawal@persistent.co.in
Subject: Re: Regarding Map Files

Basically it tells you in what portions of memory your .text .rodata .bss
.data and other sections (read GNU manual) and their respective symbol
contents are loaded and relocated to in case your image address is different
from the load address.

Ir Motte dit Falisse Ananda
Embedded Software Engineer
Portable Audio