-retain-symbols-file question
Ian Lance Taylor
ian@airs.com
Tue Dec 11 10:10:00 GMT 2001
Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> writes:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 10:32:56AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > I don't think the behaviour of --retain-symbols-file should be changed
> > to also apply to dynamic symbols. As you note, there is already a
> > different way to control dynamic symbol visibility, which is to use a
> > version script.
>
> I don't see the point of --retain-symbols-file except for use
> in controling dynamic symbol visibility. That's clearly what
> libtool is trying to use it for.
>
> This same sort of input file is what at least Irix and Tru64 use
> for controling symbol visibility, so it'd be nice to support it.
--retain-symbols-file was introduced to control symbol visibility when
linking several objects together using ld -r.
I don't know what libtool uses it for.
Ian
More information about the Binutils
mailing list