Does -march=r5000 imply HAVE_64BIT_GPRS?

cgd@broadcom.com cgd@broadcom.com
Sat Aug 18 14:24:00 GMT 2001

It would probably be good if Eric spoke up about his intentions
here...  8-)

so one thing that i don't get, from all of these discussions and
patches is, why _are_ we still maintaining the notion of 'isa' as
separate from 'architecture' in the code?

If the desire with these flags was to move in the direction of the way
arch/cpu selection is done for other architectures (in the compiler
and assembler), shouldn't -mips1 become a synonym for "-march=mips1"?

(of course, you can also say e.g. -march=cputype, which means "use the
base architecture + extensions.)

If you're going there, with switches like:

	-mips1 -march=FOO

-mips1 is irrelevant, completely overridden by -march=FOO.

I think if the desire is to eventually implement something like:

	.set arch=cpu

in the assembler (and similarly .set arch=mipsN as the new version of
.set mipsN), the arch selection and ISA selection need to be
unified in one place...

chris