[PATCH] Limited export of dynamic syms (elf32)

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen eirik@opera.com
Thu Aug 16 23:26:00 GMT 2001


"H . J . Lu" wrote:
> 
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 07:04:26PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure whether this works for executables also - but IMO it
> > would make more sense to extend if it it not works than to introduce
> > something new.
> 
> Yes, symbol versioning works on executables. But you have to get
> binutils from CVS or use my Linux binutils. It is in binutils
> 2.11.90.0.19 or above.
> 
> H.J.


Well, in that case, ignore the patch :)

I implemented it because I could not figure out how to avoid
exporting all symbols from an executable with binutils
2.9.5.0.37 (debian stable).  I can maintain that version
internally in Opera until we all got working symbol versioning
(with executables) on all platforms.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that it is obvious that symbol versioning
actually can be used to "unexport" symbols.  I overlooked it completely
when looking for a way to do it.  And I was trying to find that
functionality in the info pages for ld and gcc.  Now that I know what
to look for, I can find it.

eirik



More information about the Binutils mailing list