Binutils 2.11 and BSDI 4.2 - **BUG**

Nick Clifton nickc@cambridge.redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 01:16:00 GMT 2001

Hi Greg,

> Maybe I'm missing something here, but BSD/OS has always supported
> core dumping.  Are you talking about something else?

He is talking about something else - it is the binutils ability to
display the contents of core files that is at stakes here.  In
particular with this patch applied it means that objdump will not be
able to display the contents of a core file created on an x86 BSDI
system.  It will not stop the system from creating them, and debug
tools should still be able to process them, it is just that objdump
will not be able to disassemble them.

Of course if you can work out what is different about core files on
BSDI systems (as opposed to say, netBSD systems), it should be
possible to add support for that format to the BFD library and then
restore binutils' support for core files on BSDI.