Q: wrapper for malloc - possible?

Heiko Nardmann h.nardmann@secunet.de
Fri Aug 10 01:05:00 GMT 2001


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I want to trace calls to malloc using the LD_PRELOAD mechanism.
Is this possible?

Currently I tried to dlopen() the libc and get the symbol from it to have the 
real pointer. But that fails because dlopen() itself uses malloc().

I also tried to use the '--wrap malloc' option of ld. dlopen() now works fine 
but I do not see any output of my __wrap_malloc() function. Is it because the 
application to be traced is not linked with '--wrap malloc'? How can I 
circumvent this problem? Has anyone done such stuff?

Or do I have to copy the malloc() implementation of glibc to my source?

- -- 
Heiko Nardmann (Dipl.-Ing.), h.nardmann@secunet.de, Software Development
secunet Security Networks AG - Sicherheit in Netzwerken (www.secunet.de),
Weidenauer Str. 223-225, D-57076 Siegen
Tel. : +49 271 48950-13, Fax  : +49 271 48950-50
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQE7c5W4pm53PRScYygRAukAAKCbq+imM8O0nYDl0tx7mW1KVuSdFACffRG0
HrEA52Y6hIOuHek5t7fjmsA=
=kQm1
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



More information about the Binutils mailing list