GNU Stabs problems

Girish G girishg@india.ti.com
Tue Apr 17 21:10:00 GMT 2001

Hi All,

Quite some time back, I had posted to these groups asking
how I could get debug information from GNU tools and convert
them to the standard COFF format (i.e., all debug
information in the symbol table in the COFF file), for the
ARM processor.

We have now converted most of the stabs info to the COFF
information and it is working fine. Our problems lie in the
fact that our debugger (TI-CCS) does not use a Frame pointer
for local variable accesses but relies on Stack Pointer
only, where as GNU tools use both, Stack as well as frame
pointer. Hence, we are not able to convert the debug
information w.r.t. Stack variables(particularly locals)
properly.

My question is:
1) Can we in any way ask GNU to not generate local variables
using Frame pointer but use the stack pointer instead; or
2) Make GNU use stack pointer like the frame pointer and
vice versa; or
3) Make TI - CCS use the frame pointer as the stack pointer

Any other help would also be highly appreciated
Thanks and regards
Girish