Catastrophic breakage in the tree, please fix immediately!

Michael Sokolov msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG
Fri Sep 1 08:49:00 GMT 2000

Alexandre,

Your top-level change:

: 2000-08-31  Alexandre Oliva  <aoliva@redhat.com>
:
:         * ltconfig, ltmain.sh: Updated from libtool multi-language branch.
:         * libtool.m4, ltcf-c.sh: Copied from libtool multi-language branch.
:         * gettext.m4: New file, extracted from aclocal.m4.

and your corresponding change to bfd:

: 2000-08-31  Alexandre Oliva  <aoliva@redhat.com>
:
:         * acinclude.m4: Include libtool and gettext macros from the
:         top level.
:         * aclocal.m4, configure: Rebuilt.

(and I would imagine similar changes to all other libraries) causes
catastrophic breakage on 4.3BSD, and I would imagine on all systems that need
ranlib. libbfd.a is built with ar but not ranlib'ed, making it unusuable for ld
and causing linking against it to fail. This renders the tree completely
unbuildable.

Alexandre, you change has completely locked out and paralysed all developers on
systems that need ranlib. PLEASE FIX IMMEDIATELY!!!

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)