[patch]: New operand parser for i386 intel syntax

Diego Novillo dnovillo@redhat.com
Fri Oct 27 08:01:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Emmanuel Michon wrote:

> 1. Seems your patch is ok with ``as'' when you put intel style code inside
>
> .intel_syntax noprefix
> mov eax,ecx
> .att_syntax
> mov %ecx,%ecx
>
> So, what's the meaning of noprefix?

That you can use registers without the '%' prefix.

> 2. gcc with -m-intel-syntax options just puts a
> .intel_syntax
> at the very beginning of the .s output, what is it for?

To tell the assembler that the file is using Intel syntax.

> Normal gcc/at&t assembly would use constraints I think
> to do that;

The compiler does not handle syntax changes at the moment. If you
try to use asm's with constraints,  the compiler will generate
AT&T code which will confuse gas.

> is there a way to avoid it?

Not at present. There may be a future patch to allow inline
assembly using __asm {} blocks a-la MSVC. But it doesn't exist
yet.