more on ARM ELF flag merging

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Oct 25 13:29:00 GMT 2000

Hi Phil,

: I just discovered that ld was rejecting an attempt to interlink
: -msoft-float and -mhard-float objects without explaining why.

Oops!

: The patch below fixes this. and also rearranges things slightly so
: that the linker will produce messages  for all the mismatches that
: exist, rather than just the first one.

A good idea.

One thing though - why does your patch remove the quick test to see if
the input flags and output flags are the same, and so return true
straight away ?

: Linking PIC code into a non-PIC executable is something that happens
: all the time on Linux (libgcc.a is PIC, for example) so we shouldn't
: generate an error or even a warning for that case.  I think my
: preference would be to just silently clear the PIC flag on the
: output BFD if any non-PIC BFDs are merged with it; at the moment it
: inherits from the first input BFD that has any non-default flags.
: Nick, what do you think?

Well I would be OK with it.  Ideally I would like to see a way to
enable these suppressed messages by a command line option.  Originally
I thought of enabling them with --verbose, but this flag does not
appear to be passed through into the BFD library.

: 2000-10-22  Philip Blundell  <philb@gnu.org>
:
: 	* elf32-arm.h (elf32_arm_merge_private_bfd_data): Print an error
: 	message for EF_SOFT_FLOAT mismatches.  Display diagnostics for all
: 	mismatches, not just the first one.

Approved.