Update readelf to know about the new ELF constants

Michael Meissner meissner@cygnus.com
Mon Nov 27 13:07:00 GMT 2000


On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 11:26:54AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>    Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:12:51 -0800
>    From: Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com>
> 
>    : I''m not sure this will be OK.  All the numbers allocates are in
>    : sequence (with a few holes left).
> 
>    Is there a good reason for this ?  These are just numbers right ?
> 
>    The values mentioned above are already in use in real code, so
>    changing them would not be a good idea.  Unless there is a real need
>    to have consecutive EM_ values, I would prefer to leave them alone.
> 
> Michael implemented a mechanism for changing EM_* values a while
> back.  You can put the properly defined value in elf_machine_code, and
> move the old arbitrary value to elf_machine_alt1.  New objects will be
> written with the correct number, but old objects will still be
> recognized.

Wow, I had completely forgotten I had done that particular work (I knew there
was support for multiple EM_* in there).

-- 
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886, USA
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304
Non-work: meissner@spectacle-pond.org	fax:   +1 978-692-4482


More information about the Binutils mailing list