A symbol version patch for glibc 2.x compatibility

Geoff Keating geoffk@geoffk.org
Sat Nov 25 12:12:00 GMT 2000

> Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:53:32 -0800
> From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
> Cc: binutils@sourceware.cygnus.com

> What should be the standard for using this PT_NOTE section method?  Linux
> names the section ".note.ABI-tag", NetBSD ".note.ident".  I made FreeBSD
> follow Linux with ".note.ABI-tag".  Or does one search thru all the
> PT_NOTE type sections looking for a type of 0x01?  Search all the PT_NOTE
> sections looking for a name string you recognize?

This betrays some fundamental confusion about the ELF object file
format.  A program loader should not look at section names at all,
because they need not be there.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>