A symbol version patch for glibc 2.x compatibility

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Thu Nov 16 16:08:00 GMT 2000

   Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:58:45 -0800
   From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>

   > That said, I do not think it would be incorrect to set the EI_OSABI
   > field to ELFOSABI_LINUX when the binutils are configured for a
   > GNU/Linux target.

   To tell the truth I'm still trying to understand why it isn't incorrect
   to not do so.

The spec says that the EI_OSABI field must be set if there are
platform specific interpretations for otherwise standard ELF flags and
values.

On a Linux kernel, there are no such platform specific
interpretations.

Note that the spec does not say that the EI_OSABI field must be set to
indicate the intended execution target of the object.  You seem to be
reading it as saying that, but it does not.

Ian